stages of moral development
Assignment 2: Incorporating Kohlbergâ€™s Stages of Moral Development into the Justice System
Due Week 7 and worth 120 points
Imagine you are the chief of police. As the chief of police, you will need to ensure that your law enforcement officers lead ethical careers. In order to prepare for this assignment, review Chapters 7 through 9 in the textbook. Then, research Kohlbergâ€™s stages of moral development and find at least two (2) relevant articles that discuss Kohlbergâ€™s theory, Means vs. Ends, and Kantian ethics.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
1. Identify and discuss the three (3) levels of Kohlbergâ€™s stages of Moral Development, and explain how you would address each level within your department.
2. Explain how your officers can use Kohlbergâ€™s Stages of Moral Development to evaluate three (3) types of criminals who are at different stages of moral development.
3. Illustrate two to three (2-3) ways in which you would address self-interest and pursuit of pleasure to prevent police corruption.
4. Identify and discuss at least three (3) Prima Facie Duties that you believe all of your law enforcement officers should fulfill.
5. Support your position statement with two (2) relevant and credible references, documented according to SWS. (Note: Do not use open source sites such as Ask.com, eHow.com, Answers.com, and Wikipedia.)
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Include a cover page developed in accordance with SWS, including a running head, page number, the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page, revision of the previous assignment, and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Recommend ways to use ethics to improve decision making in the criminal justice system.
- Analyze various philosophical approaches for ethical decision making, and the effectiveness and limits of each approach for making ethical choices.
- Analyze basic questions about morality, norms, and values.
- Examine the concepts and effectiveness of reward and punishment.
- Explain why and how the concept of justice is important to the field of criminal justice.
- Explain Kohlbergâ€™s moral development stages and how they can be applied to issues in criminal justice.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in ethics and leadership in criminal justice.
- Write clearly and concisely about ethics and leadership in criminal justice using proper writing mechanics.
Click here to view the grading rubric for this assignment.