Note: This paper will cover only the material on Drug/Alcohol Use and Crime/Criminal Justice.
Based on the course material and the movie â€œThe House I Live In,â€ (see Module 9) how are poor and minority offenders targeted and treated differently by the criminal justice system? In your answer, you must cover the following:
- How are poor and minority offenders treated differently by the police and in sentencing?
- Discuss The War on Drugs and how it has impacted Black Americans to a greater degree than other groups.
- What are the effects of mass incarceration on individuals and communities, especially on poor and minority families and communities?
Use details from the movie and the course material as well as your own opinions. Be clear where your information is coming from (e.g., The House I Live In, chapters from the book, other course material presented in class including videos, etc.). If you use any outside sources, you must cite them.
Provide a good introduction and conclusion, give good examples, proofread for spelling and grammar. Donâ€™t plagiarize; paraphrase. See above for the other specific details, including formatting and word length.
Let me know if you have any questions or problems. I can give feedback on your planning if you arenâ€™t quite sure you are answering the questions correctly as long as you give me enough time before the deadline to get back to you.
Instructions (read carefully):
- Answer the questions below.
- Your answer must be between 500 and 750 words. It is all right to go a little above 750 words, but you MUST reach at least 500.
- You will be graded out of 30 points.
- Be specific and answer the questions completely.
- Provide details that support your ideas.
- Keep your writing academic.
- This paper is open book/notes. Use any information you need from the course material and class notes.
- It is entirely possible to answer these questions using only the class material and class notes. But, you can use outside sources if you wish. You are not required to use any outside sources and doing so will not necessarily help your grade.
- Double space, 12-point font, Times New Roman, 1 inch margins all around.
- Limited direct quotes (and only if they are meaningful), write in your own words. Donâ€™t copy from your book or any other source. Failure to paraphrase is plagiarism.
- Proof read for spelling and grammar.
- Save your answer in a file on your computer and upload the document in Canvas.
*I recommend printing out these instructions to make sure you answer the question completely and meet all requirements.