INSTRUCTIONS: First complete the discussion topic using a minimum of 100 words and then complete the assignment as directed. The assignment rubric is attached.
IT213: Software Development
Discussion Topic: Using Data and Embracing Failure
- How do you use the concepts of variables and constants in performing some of your routine tasks? For example, when doing laundry, are there constants and variables involved? Think of a task that you perform routinely to answer this topic.
- Please go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF-5CMozGWY and listen to Kevin Kelly on What Technology Wants. Discuss your thoughts on what Kevin Kelly states in this video. What do you agree with, and what might you disagree with? How does what he discusses about embracing failure relate to programming, in your opinion.
In this assignment you will complete a program to demonstrate the skills presented in this lesson for your selected language path. Please keep in mind that with all the assignments in this course, any given scenarios are hypothetical and intended solely to demonstrate specific skills.
In this hypothetical scenario, you will create a program that will allow a student to register for certification classes in HVAC. The school offers a $150 discount if the student signs up for twenty or more unit-hours. Students may also pay the tuition costs over a twelve-month period.
- Your program should declare variables using the appropriate data types to store the following string values.
Name: â€œJohn Smithâ€
Address: â€œ101 N. Main Streetâ€
Units Taken: â€œ19â€
- For the price per unit, declare a constant numeric variable to contain the decimal value 100.50.
- For the twenty unit-hour discount, declare a constant numeric variable to contain the whole number 150.
- Convert the string value for Units Taken to an integer data type and place the converted numeric value into a separate numeric variable.
Hint: Use the same name but add the prefix â€˜intâ€™ such as intUnitsTaken.
- Using the increment operator, increment the variable above by 1 so that the value 19 will now be 20.
- Multiply the constant variable for price per unit by the units taken and place the answer in a variable named tuition.
- Subtract the constant discount value from tuition and store the answer in a variable named afterDiscount.
- Divide the discounted tuition by 12 and store the answer in a variable named monthlyPayment.
- Finally, your program will display the following data using the respective variables for each item:
Number of units taken (numeric value that was incremented)
Tuition before discount
Tuition after discount
Include labels for each item as shown in expected output. Format the tuition
values and monthly payment as currency.
Name: John Smith
Address: 101 N. Main Street
Zip Code: 11111
The number of units taken is: 20
The tuition before discount is $2,010.00
The tuition after twenty-unit discount is $1,860.00
Your monthly payment is $155.00
Directions for Submitting Your Assignment
The source code file is the file in your project that contains the code you wrote. You will only need to submit the source code file for your program and not the entire project folder or any additional project files. Below are listed the file extensions for the source code file for each language:
.cs file for C#
.java file for Java
.php and.js files for web development