Assessment 3: Final Report (50%)
Length: Submission Details: Feedback Details:
«UNIT_NUMBERCODE» «UNIT_NAME» «SESSION» «YEAR» SECTION THREE
Week 14, Wednesday 21st October
Through Turnitin in Microsoft word format with Assignment Cover Sheet. Via Grademark
The purpose of this assessment is to enable each student to apply the knowledge that has been developed during the semester in the economic consideration of an important health service topic area. It enables the student to explore in more detail an area of economic interest.
Consider ONE only of the following three topics.
Question 1: Sustainability of funding for public hospital services
In August 2011 the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) agreed to major structural reforms to the funding accountabilities for health care in Australia. The National Health Reform Agreement places joint responsibility to the commonwealth state and territory governments for funding services through Activity Based and Block funding. What was the justification for this change? Provide an argument (either for or against) the sustainability of this funding model for the future of Australia health service delivery.
Question 2: Economics of emergency department waiting times
Waiting times are synonymous with Emergency Departments. Select one state in Australia and provide the overall statistics on emergency department waiting times (including the expected wait times based on categories). Provide three options to improve wait times and the cost savings attributed to that change (N.B. If the change will not involve any savings provide a very good justification why or consider another option).
Question 3: The economics of uncontrolled asthma
Evidence suggests there is a significant economic impact due to the number of people with uncontrolled asthma in Australia. You must provide evidence to support or refute this argument and compare with at least one other similar and dissimilar economic country.
You will be assessed on the following:
• Report Format use and length – use of an executive summary (ES) Contents Page (CP) matching section headings in text, with page numbering.
• Keeping to the word limit of 3000 words- extra words will not be marked. This excludes the ES, CP and references. Words in tables count towards your word count.
• Academic writing skills, construction of paragraphs – written in a formal academic style, edited for spelling, grammar and language fluency, citation and referencing.
• Contents relevant to the subject and topic adequately covered.
• Ability to support argument with evidence. For example, say “this resulted in an increase in
spending by 10% over the 2007-2010 period”, NOT ‘this resulted in an increase in
• Evidence of critical analysis of sources and content, eg strengths, weaknesses identified,
recommendations made for improvements, etc.
All new resources 2005-2015 ,best academic resources. No internet or Wikipedia.
References for these topics have not been supplied as part of the marking criteria relates to your research ability and your ability to find relevant and up-to-date references. This will mean some prior planning to ensure you have a good understanding of the current state of your chosen question
Assessment 3: Final Report (50%)