The Discussion Board (DB) is part of the core of online learning. Classroom discussion in an online environment requires the active participation of students and the instructor to create robust interaction and dialogue. Every student is expected to create an original response to the open-ended DB question as well as engage in dialogue by responding to posts created by others throughout the week. At the end of each unit, DB participation will be assessed based on both level of engagement and the quality of the contribution to the discussion.
At a minimum, each student will be expected to post an original and thoughtful response to the DB question and contribute to the weekly dialogue by responding to at least two other posts from students. The first contribution must be posted before midnight (Central Time) on Wednesday of each week. Two additional responses are required after Wednesday of each week. Students are highly encouraged to engage on the Discussion Board early and often, as that is the primary way the university tracks class attendance and participation.
The purpose of the Discussion Board is to allow students to learn through sharing ideas and experiences as they relate to course content and the DB question. Because it is not possible to engage in two-way dialogue after a conversation has ended, no posts to the DB will be accepted after the end of each unit.
Research a contemporary artist on the
Art 21 PBS Web site.
See the Resource List for this unit, for access to the Web site.
Write 150â€“500 words (not including references) that cover the following:
- Brief artist biography
- Explain the artist’s overall “theme” or interests.
- Describe and evaluate one of the artistâ€™s works: title, material, size, year completed, subject matter, content, style.
- Include an image of the artwork you are describing.
- What is the possible meaning of the work? What is the artist trying to say?
- Does the work of art reveal any contemporary (current) concerns or interests? How is this demonstrated?
Peer responses can elaborate on the following topics:
- Look at the image that your peer has selected. Discuss the meaning of the work: Do you think he or she interpreted the artistâ€™s message well? What do you think the artist trying to say?
- What artist(s) or style do you think the artist uses for inspiration?
- Look at other works of art by the same artist. Which one would you have picked and why?
When researching the Internet for addition resources, use reliable/credible sites. Begin with sites suggested in the Course Materials Reference List for each unit. Retail sites and Wikipedia are not considered reliable resources. All writing must be in your own words. Do not cut and paste information from the Web site.
You are required to comply with APA style format for quotations, internal citations, and a reference list. In addition, include the URL for the artwork you chose at the end of the paper. For additional information and resources on APA, visit the APA section of the Library, available under “Library Features.”