Argumentative Essay (Draft) Assignment Instructions
For this assignment, you will work through the drafting stage of your writing process in an argument essay.
- Review the grading rubric as listed on this page.
- Choose a writing prompt as listed above on this page.
- Review the Argument Essay Outline you submitted along with feedback you received from that assignment. Make adjustments to the outline in accordance with the feedback. This may include strengthening lines of reasoning, expanding or improving research sources for supporting evidence, creating a more sympathetic introduction to your position, etc.
- Develop a complete draft of your essay using your improved Argument Essay Outline. It should meet the following requirements. Papers submitted that do not meet the requirements will be returned to you ungraded.
- A two-part thesis including statement of position; and forecast of your lines of reasoning
- A minimum of three credible outside sources formatted on a source page (MLA, Works Cited)
- MLA formatting (see the MLA Format page as needed)
- Minimum of four (4) full pages, not including the Works Cited page.
- Submit your detailed outline as a single file upload.
- Be sure to:
- Choose a specific issue in which two credible parties have documented clearly opposing positions and clear agendas
- Choose the position you agree with and argue that position using the following:
- Three separate lines of reasoning;
- Each line of reasoning will support your position with research (example, testimony, and fact/data, or any combination) that supports your position; and
- Research about the opposing positionâ€™s views
- Present the opposing views and refute them.
- Include a two-part thesis with:
- Statement of position; and
- Forecast of your lines of reasoning
- Develop an enticing title that implies your position.