application virtual city revitalizing masachapa project 3
Application: Virtual City: Revitalizing Masachapa Project
This week, the following crisis has unfolded: LaPrensa, Nicaraguaâ€™s largest newspaper, just published a story about Masachapaâ€™s mayor, Maria Gutierrez, accusing Mayor Gutierrez of misappropriation of public monies and other acts of corruption. While the mayorâ€™s office denies all charges, this story has cast a dark cloud over the town and might jeopardize the RMP altogether. This week, you are asked to elaborate on a strengths-weakness-opportunities-challenges and threats (SWOC/T) analysis for the town of Masachapa.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review Week 5 information in the Virtual City: Revitalizing Masachapa Project multimedia.
- Review Chapter 5 in Bryson (2018).
- Consider the town of Masachapaâ€™s internal and external environments in order to perform a SWOC/T analysis for the RMP.
The Assignment (3â€“4 pages):
Elaborate on a SWOC/T analysis for Masachapaâ€™s RMP.
- Your analysis should address internal and external environmental assessments.
- Using the knowledge gained over the first 5 weeks of the course, assess the impact of this external shock on the RMP; provide guidance for â€œnext stepsâ€ to be taken, and explain your reasoning for how to manage this crisis.
- In this exercise, you may consider preparing background reports on external forces affecting the townâ€™s RMP (e.g., potential customers, donor agencies, lenders, other collaborators) with similar reports on internal forces (e.g., local town officials, local citizen groups).
Support your Application Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. Use APA style for this and all assignments.
- Bryson, J. M. (2018). Strategic planning for public and nonprofit organizations: A guide to strengthening and sustaining organizational achievement (5th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Chapter 5, â€œAssessing the Environment to Identify Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Challengesâ€ (pp. 144-184)
- Laureate Education (Producer). (2014). Virtual city: Revitalizing Masachapa Project [Multimedia file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Please click on the following link for the transcript: Program Transcript (PDF)
As you review the Week 5 information in the Virtual City, consider the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and challenges (threats) for the town of Masachapaâ€™s RMP. Focus on how the crisis situation will require strategic decision making in a hostile and uncertain environment.