First, read chapters 14 and 15, in your textbook, Transcultural Concepts in Nursing Care.
Then, answer the following questions:
- Describe ethical dilemmas associated with the current state of population health and health disparities.
- Discuss the cultural underpinnings supporting pros and cons of health care reform and the Affordable Care Act in the United States.
- Explain how the principles of social justice and human rights protection reduce health disparities.
- Initial Post: Minimum of two (2) total references: one (1) from required course materials and one (1) from peer-reviewed references.
- Initial Post: Minimum 200 words excluding references (approximately one (1)
This week you will examine how to be a patient advocate for all individuals, particularly those who are from a different culture than your own.
- First, consider an ethical dilemma that you have encountered in your own nursing practiceâ€”choose one that was caused by a misunderstanding between people from different cultures. Describe that situation clearly.
- How did each group or individual perceive the dilemma? (Present both sides, objectively.)
- Identify the conflicting values and belief systems held by each group.
- What data was missingâ€”what information did the health care providers not have about the patientâ€™s culture?
- Next, define culturally congruent care
Minimum of four (4) total references: two (2) references from required course materials and two (2) peer-reviewed references. All references must be no older than five years (unless making a specific point using a seminal piece of information)
7. Number of Pages/Words
Unless otherwise specified all papers should have a minimum of 600 words (approximately 2.5 pages) excluding the title and reference pages.